• The Gauchos welcome back all five starters from a team that captured the Big West regular season and tournament championships in 2009-10.
• Head coach Bob Williams enters his 13th season in search of career win No. 200 at UCSB. He is 199-156 at the school, having led the Gauchos to winning records in eight of the last nine seasons.
• Guard Orlando Johnson led the Big West in scoring (18.0 ppg) and notched double-figure points in all 30 games. He was selected 2009-10 Big West Player of the Year. Other awards bestowed on Johnson included First Team All-District, First Team Mid-Major All-American and Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.
• Junior James Nunnally pairs with Johnson to form a lethal offensive combo for UCSB. The 6-5 swingman averaged 14.7 points per game, ninth-best in the league, and topped the squad in rebounding (5.6 rpg). He also hit 45.5% (46-of-101) to rank second in the Big West in three-point field goal accuracy.
• The only Gaucho to start all 30 games last season was point guard Will Brew. The junior paced the team with 40 steals and averaged 2.63 assists per game, ranking him ninth in the Big West.
Friday, August 13, 2010
Big West Men's Basketball Summer Prospectus